We acknowledge and respect the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of New Credit First Nation, the Haudenosaunee, the Huron-Wendat and the many other diverse Indigenous peoples.
Friends of the Rouge Watershed (FRW) coordinates hands-on environmental projects with visible and lasting ecosystem, watershed, and community benefits. From our office at Hillside Outdoor Education School in Rouge Park, FRW proudly serves the culturally diverse communities of the GTA.
FRW forms productive conservation partnerships with schools, community and faith organizations, businesses, municipalities, agencies, community leaders, and other environmental groups. We collaborate with our partners to:
· Improve watershed, ecosystem, and community health;
· Promote ecosystem approaches to environmental planning and protection;
· Encourage environmental awareness, education, ethics and stewardship;
· Monitor and communicate indicators of watershed and ecosystem health.
Since 1991, FRW and its partners have:
· helped to create Rouge Park, Watershed, ORM and Greenbelt Plans;
· educated and empowered over 65,000 youth and community volunteers;
· planted and maintained over 727,000 native trees, shrubs and flowers;
· restored 3.5 million square metres of forest, wetland, and meadow habitat;
· improved air and water quality and reduced flooding, erosion and pollution;
· provided over 1,240 educational walks to connect urban residents with nature.
Check out our current project for our long term goals and ecological gains!